Vanessa is a partner at Biskupic & Jacobs. Her primary focuses are complex civil litigation and appellate work. Before joining the firm, Vanessa was a federal law clerk for five years. She also practiced in Chicago at one of the country’s largest law firms, specializing in complex business litigation, labor and employment, and trademark prosecution.
- Argued and briefed several successful appeals, including obtaining client’s acquittal immediately following oral argument on federal charges of immigration crimes and mail fraud.
- Co-authored successful motion to dismiss claims against corporate CFO in federal securities class action.
- Obtained summary judgment for fortune 100 company in state products liability case.
- Successfully defended corporate client against emergency motion for temporary restraining in state court.
- Served as law clerk to the late Hon. Terence T. Evans (7th Cir.), Hon. Diane S. Sykes (7th Cir.), Hon. Robert M. Dow, Jr. (N.D. Ill.), and Hon. William E. Callahan, Jr. (E.D. Wis.).
Honors and Publications
- “A Proposed Bar to Transferring Juveniles with Mental Disorders to Criminal Court: Let the Punishment Fit the Culpability,” 14 Va. J. Soc. Pol’y & L. 418 (2007).
- “A Cloudy Crystal Ball: Concerns Regarding the Use of Juvenile Psychopathy Scores in Judicial Waiver Hearings,” 26 Dev. Mental Health L. 1 (2007).
- Member of Seventh Circuit Bar Association, Eastern District of Wisconsin Bar Association, and Ozaukee Bar Association.
- Board Member of Sunbeam Kids, Inc.
Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
Eastern District of Wisconsin
Northern District of Illinois
B.S., University of Wisconsin
J.D., University of Virginia School of Law