Michelle is a founding partner and co-owner at Biskupic & Jacobs. Her primary focuses are appellate litigation, criminal defense, and complex civil litigation. Before starting Biskupic & Jacobs, Michelle spent two years in private practice at one of Milwaukee’s largest law firms. Prior to that, she served for 17 years as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Eastern District of Wisconsin, including as the United States Attorney in 2009. She held positions in that Office including First Assistant U.S. Attorney, Criminal Chief, and Appellate Chief.
- Has personally handled more than 20 jury trials and argued more than 100 federal civil and criminal appeals.
- Successfully tried to juries a significant international claim involving prohibited technologies being illegally transferred to China, and a case involving military technology being illegally exported to Iran.
- Obtained dismissal of federal lawsuit brought under federal Torture Victim Protection and Alien Tort laws and successfully defended the judgment on appeal.
- Served as a law clerk to the Honorable Gilbert S. Merrit, United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
Honors and Publications
- Selected for inclusion in the 2016 edition of The Best Lawyers in America© for Criminal Defense - White Collar.
- Recognized by the Milwaukee Business Journal as one of the “2013 Women of Influence.”
- Recognized by the Wisconsin Law Journal as one of Wisconsin’s top “Women in the Law” (2009).
- Received the U.S. Department of Justice Award for Superior Performance (1999).
- Serves on the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals Committee on Criminal Jury Instructions and the Local Rules Committee for the Eastern District of Wisconsin.
- Member of Fairchild Inns of Court, Seventh Circuit Bar Association, Eastern District of Wisconsin Bar Association, and Ozaukee Bar Association.
- Has taught courses for the U.S. Department of Justice at the National Advocacy Center, the State Bar of Wisconsin, and Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
United States Supreme Court
Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
Eastern District of Wisconsin
Western District of Wisconsin
Northern District of Illinois
Southern District of Indiana
B.S., University of Wisconsin
J.D., University of Wisconsin Law School